Red Bull Elektropedia Masterklass is not just another random mixtape series. Every episode tells the story of a love affair between a DJ and a certain genre, era, label or any kind of subject matter interesting enough to be turned into a proper mixtape. We select the DJs and musicians based on their knowledge of (and enthusiasm for) music - giving them absolute freedom to show off their insights. Subscribe yourself to our Masterklasses today and get a PhD in music sciences tomorrow.
Next in line is Spacid. This Ghent based DJ has been breathing music since 1990 and is one of the most experienced DJs and promoters around. There isn't a booth in Belgium that's hasn't been visited by Spacid - having played 10 Days Off seven times, Tomorrowland five times and I Love Techno four times. For his Masterklass he got inspired by the '80s: "There was a street fair in my neighborhood with - typically for Belgium - puppets, flea markets, sausages, fries and the wrong music. I grew up in the '80s so the music from that decade had a huge impact on me. But things could be better than what I heard outside - much better. I love a psychedelic atmosphere and deep beats with a layer of kitsch. That would match perfectly for me. So I locked myself up in my studio and recorded my version of the '80s - the music I grew up with but slightly different, deeper and especially more psychedelic. Just imagine living somewhere in the mid '80s on a cruise with your loved one during the night. At the bar you're being served by a waiter who's clearly stuck in the '70s so he spikes your drinks with the necessary psychedelics. And then this soundtrack starts. The lights go on ... this is the night. And you make a love dance."
1. Nightshift (Raymond & Hayes Edit) - The Commodores.
2. Don't Look Any Further ( Satin Jackets & Chris Jylkke Haircut Remake ) - M-People.
3. Why Can't We Live Together (Alkalino Rework) ñ Kongas.
4. Life's just a ballgame (d.j.d & Arthur blackbeard edit) - womack & Womack.
5. Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon (Alien Disco Sugar's ''The Time Is Now'' Mix) - Biddu Orchestra.
6. Baby Come To Me (Brendon P's 'Dubbed Out' Edit) - Patti Austin.
7. (I've Had) The Time Of My Life (LeSale's Second Base Edit) - Bill Medley & Jeniffer Warnes.
8. Tragedy (Munga 1998 Mix) - The Bee Gees.
9. Everywhere ( Psychemagic re-edit ) - Fleetwood mac.
10. Dream on Dreamer (Satin Jackets Reconstruction) - The Brand New Heavies.
11. Riders On The Storm (Wareika edit) - the Doors.